This is my modest watch collection, I hope you enjoy these timepieces as much as I do. Some of the brands I collect are Omega, Hamilton, Bulova, Gucci, Invicta, Croton, Rado, and other popular brands

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Seiko Dress Watch Quartz - Circa 1985

On a summer day in 1985 my beloved Citizens watch that i had owned since 1978 just gave up on me and it actually fell apart. The crystal fell off, the movement turn into pieces and i could not find anyone that could repair it. I was really bummed out because I really liked that watch.
(I am actively looking for a 1978 Citizens Automatic Movement, Gray Dial on Stainless Steel with date complication for my collection).

So, I made a trip to the local Garibaldi Jewelery store to look for a watch. I remember trying many different watches all of them way over-priced for me at the time. Finally, i was shown this Seiko dress watch, at first I thought it was too simple, but the more i looked at it the more I started enjoying its simplicity. This watch was also my first quartz movement watch, so I was excited about owning something different.

This timepiece is so simple but it is executed so elegantly. It is light, thin, and bright. It has a simple dial with markers rather than numerals, and it does not contain any complications whatsoever. The case is gold filled, the dial is protected by sapphire crystal, and it is extremely durable. I wore this watch for many years, like all Seiko Watches of the time it is basically indestructible . It amazes me that this watch doesn't have not even one scratch, and believe me I wore this watch at a time that caring for watches was not my priority. The leather strap is also amazingly durable...It still has the original strap and buckle on the watch. The movement on the watch is a Japanese Seiko Quartz (Br30) made in 1985.

The back of the watch is stainless steel and it contains the serial number and the very visible made in Japan label. Like a I said before, this is a very simple watch but it is a comfort watch that wears well on any wrist. The case is small for today's standards but still a nice size watch. Great watch to wear during interviews and other professional setting.

Seiko Dress Watch - Quartz - Circa 1985

1 comment:

  1. Hello JJ,
    My mother owns one of these. A little scratched and a little worn leather, but almost identical to yours. She was wondering is it worth anything? She had it since she was a young woman. If it helps, on the back, it says "Seiko Base Metal St. Steel Back 5P30-5A10 RO JAPAN A 621769".
    Thanks in advance!
    Cheers
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete